"The City as Studio" 2015 Call for Submissions
The 20th annual Chicago Artists Month will take place October 1 – November 15, 2015. Chicago Artists Month (CAM) is a program of the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) that showcases the work of Chicago artists and arts organizations through independently-produced events taking place throughout Chicago.
Call for Submissions will open July 13 - 24, 2015.
Download a program description and submission guidelines.
Attend a CAM Meet/Greet/Have/Need Learn about CAM and meet potential collaborators.
- Monday July 6, 5-7pm at the Arts Incubator in Washington Park, 301 E. Garfield Blvd. RSVP
- Wednesday July 8, 6pm at the Sulzer Regional Library, 4455 N. Lincoln Avenue. RSVP
CAM 2015 Theme: The City as Studio
CAM 2015 will be in dialogue with the inaugural Chicago Architecture Biennial (CAB). As the world comes to CHicago this fall to discuss the state of architecture, CAM invites Chicago-based artists, performers, architects, designers, writers, arts and community organizations;and other creatives, to envision the theme “The City as Studio” and look at Chicago as a place for investigation, experimentation, innovation, and production – through exhibitions, performances, installations, screenings, tours, festivals, art walks and more.
As the third largest city in the U.S., Chicago is a studio with challenges, rewards and visions for the future. CAM 2015 will celebrate and investigate how artists and creatives who live and work in the Chicago draw inspiration from its urban fabric - design, materials, density; its people - young, old, transient and rooted; its history(ies); its environment - sky, lake, soil.
How to Participate
Online submissions of independently-produced events and programs that showcase artists in all disciplines and respond to the theme will open on this site between July 13 - 24, 2015.
The online application requires: Contact Information, Date/Time, Program Description, Neighborhood/Ward, any related events, and the names and websites of participating Chicago Artists.
Selections will be announced in early August. Up to 300 selected programs will be listed online and featured in a print guide distributed citywide. Selected programs will be featured in a robust marketing campaign, and up to 18 CAM Featured Programs will receive additional technical and financial assistance and be invited to nominate participating Chicago-based artists for selection as the 2015 Featured Artists.
CAM 2015 Prioritizes: Experimental, innovative projects demonstrating a strong and original artistic/creative vision; new work; projects that increase public access to and participation in high-quality arts activities/events especially with underrepresented populations, and collaboration (between neighborhoods, genres, demographically, or other).
CAM Event Types
Submissions will be accepted for the following event categories:
- Art Walk / Tour / Festival - Coordinated event(s) featuring work by Chicago artists in multiple spaces in a single neighborhood or a guided tour of work by one or more Chicago-based artists in a single or multiple locations.
- Exhibition / Installation - An organized presentation and display of a selection of works in a public location featuring one or more Chicago-based artists.
- Learning / Making - A class, conversation, lab, lecture, panel discussion, demonstration, art-making activity or other educational event that focuses on or is presented by a Chicago-based artist(s), or on a topic related to the Chicago arts community.
- Open Studio - A public opening of a communal studio or a building housing multiple studios located in Chicago.
- Performance / Screening - A music, theater, dance, spoken word, film or other time-based, site-specific event featuring one or more Chicago-based artists
CAM Call for Submissions will open July 13 - 24, 2015.
Questions? Contact us